Kletke/Durham Genealogy

Family: Ludwig Peter Hinrich Engelken / Ella Helena Clara Kletke (F115)

m. 29 Oct 1933

Family Information    |    Notes    |    All    |    PDF

  • Father | Male
    Ludwig Peter Hinrich Engelken

    Born  3 Mar 1907  Independence, Montgomery County, Kansas Find all individuals with events at this location
    Died  13 Jul 1997  Alva, Woods, Oklahoma Find all individuals with events at this location
    Married  29 Oct 1933  Alva, Woods, Oklahoma Find all individuals with events at this location

    Mother | Female
    Ella Helena Clara Kletke

    Born  13 May 1906  Alva, Woods, Oklahoma Find all individuals with events at this location
    Died  11 Jan 2000  Alva, Woods, Oklahoma Find all individuals with events at this location
    Father  Edward Gustav Kletke | F017 Group Sheet 
    Mother  Ida Louisa Augustin | F017 Group Sheet 

    Child 1 | Male
    Ralph Louis Engelken

    Spouse  Florence Landman | F181 
    Spouse  Pat Wagner | F311 

    Child 2 | Male
    Robert Dean Engelken

    Spouse  Ruth Karen Sickles | F184 

    Child 3 | Male
    Ernest Henry Engelken

    Spouse  Mildred Rauh | F302 
    Spouse  Marcy McNett | F186 

    Child 4 | Male
    Walter Erick Engelken

    Spouse  Barbara Ann Finney | F188 
    Spouse  Jane Anne Price Watts | F189 

  • Notes 
    • Louis H. Engelken was born in Independence, Kansas on March 3, 1907. He moved to Alva with his parents at the age of thirteen years. He was baptized at the Zion Lutheran Church at Independence, Kansas. He was confirmed at Zion Lutheran Church in Alva, Oklahoma. He was active in the youth group at that time know as the Walther League. He married Ella (Kletke) in October 1933. Louis served as Elder of the church for many years and also was on the building committee of the new church. After Ella & Louis moved into Alva from the country, Louis was custodian of the church for a number of years.

      Ella was born May 13, 1906 at Alva, OK. Ella taught many years in school. She also taught Vacation Bible School and Sunday School. She was a member of the LWML and the Mary Martha Guild.

      To this union four boys were born; Ralph Louis, Robert Dean, Ernest Henry and Walter Eric.

      Louis passed away July 1997. Ella is in the Share Nursing Home at this time. She celebrated her 92nd birthday in May, 1999.

      The following text was written by Ella Helen Claire Kletke at the time of their honeymoon in late October and early November 1933:

      Sunday evening Octobe the 29th, 1933 after a lovely banquet we bid farewell to our dear ones and where off on our honeymoon. It was 10:30 when we left Alva, reaching Enid two and one half hours later.

      On October the 30th we spent about three hours looking around in Enid and then we traveled on, reaching Fort Worth by evening. What a lovely town! and what a nice time we had here. We stayed in the Worth Hotel on the sixteenth floor. This gave us a real birds eye view of the city. The next morning we went out sightseeing also spent about two hours in the "American Airway." After an early dinner we were headed toward Fedor, Texas, where Mr. and Mrs. Theo Schroeder and family live. At 8 o'clock without trouble we safely arrived at their home. They were as glad to see us as we were to see them. We spent a long evening telling them all about our lovely wedding.

      On Thursday, November 2 Marie and I done up a big washing. Louis and little Roland went to Hiddings, and Ted, the village Proffessor was busy in his school.

      In the afternoon Marie and I had company, the assistant teacher's wife Mrs. Bunk came calling. We enjoyed her visit very much. On Friday, November 3 I visited school, which was an interesting thing for me.

      In the evening of November 3 we were invited to a big supper at Mrs. Bunk's. Rev. Michalh and family, Ted, Marie and Family and Louis and I were all there. What a wonderful reception and what fine hospitality was shown us.

      Saturday morning Louis and Ted arose early in the morning (5 o'clock) and prepared their own breakfast and then went Squirrel hunting. They returned shortly before the noon hour with only eleven squirrels. M! m! what a dinner!

      After we had finished the big feast we all went to McDade to the Pottery Factory. If we ever saw pots we sure saw them there, scores upon scores everywhere. And above all we found some good bargains that we decided to buy some for future use.

      The pecan hunt was another interesting event well worth remembering Fedor, Texas for. Two negros helped patiently shaking the trees and picking them up. Roland picking up close behind one of the negros finally said "say Dad, this ole nigger leaves half of them lay."

      Sunday morning November 5 we all went to the village church. What a large church!, and what a big crowd! One hardly figure out where the people came from. The county is all timber land and only a few homes can be seen at any one time. And cotton, cotton, cotton, is their industry, no wonder one sees so many black friends.

      Sunday evening we were invited to Mr. and Mrs. Cheeks. We had a marvelous time there, but German!! They all talk german, Louis and I understand, but when it comes to talking we are lost, ha! Just the same before the evening was over I was pretty good at it. I had gained confidence in myself and finally managed very well.

      Monday morning, November 6 we continued our travel. Heading toward Houston we reached the city at nearly 2 o'clock. We drove around the main part of town enjoying all the scenes of a big city. Swiftly driving and passing under the green light and on down the street we suddenly got a jar and heard a bang, we were hit! A large truck speeding through the busy street, dashed into us from the rear, getting excited he turned sharply to the left and plowed right into a fine new car. We were not hurt in the least only the car bent a little, taking our damage, without fussing, we left the main part of town and drove up to the Lutheran school where John Baden teaches. It was 3 o'clock now, the hour that John dismisses. Was he surprised? I don't mean maybe. It was only a few minutes and he was ready to come along. Now what's wrong? Old Henry simply would not start. The starter stuck and nothing would help. John walked home and got his car and pushed the Ford to a garage where we had it fixed.

      At 7 o'clock we went up town to where Dorothy Baden works. She came with us and we four went to supper at Mexican Inn.

      Dorothy and John wanted us to spend two nights with them instead of one as we had planned, because Dorothy would have the next day off and could show us around. So we decided to stay.

      That evening John had to go to the bowling hall and Dorothy had play practice. Louis and I went to the bowling alley for awhile and then to a lecture "A trip to Palestine." This certainly was well worth our time.

      Early Tuesday morning November 7, Dorothy, Louis and I started for Galveston which is 60 miles from Houston. We crossed West Bay over a long bridge in the center of which was a "Draw Bridge" for the passage of large boats and steamships. We reached the Galveston Island on which Galveston is located and drove along the eastern shore looking out across the Gulf of Mexico. Interesting to know, along the entire eastern shore where military reservations, one could see 2 or 3 of the many underground fortresses with their huge machine guns for the protection against a foe.

      After dinner we went along the western shore. Here we saw large ships, one from Hamburg, Germany, one from China and a banana ship from South America. It did not take us long to decide on a boat ride. We went up west bay to the Gulf of Mexico. This was really interesting and we three each had the chance to pilot the boat for awhile.

      After we reached the landing port again Dorothy bought sea foods for supper. Something we had never eaten before "Shrimp." They were good, but we just had seen too many fish that day on the docks.

      After supper we went to the show, and vaudeville "Melody of Love," how beautiful and striking. It was the finest of vaudevilles I had ever seen.

      Early Wednesday morning (we took) Dorothy to work, John to school, and we on our way to Dallas. We reached Dallas in the middle of the afternoon. First we located for lodging for the night , which was in the Jefferson Hotel and then we walked up town looking around, buying notions, getting supper and then taking in a big show.

      Early Thursday morning we hustled around to get an early start cause we wanted to reach home. All day long we traveled, stopped only long enough for our meals and several pictures. We reached home at 8 o'clock Thursday evening without one bit of trouble. We found Alva as we had left it with the exception of some wedding guests what had come from other places, had again returned to their various homes.

      Friday evening we were welcomed by a big "chivarsee." We had a splendid time and when they left that ended the big line of events for the newly weds.

      This also ends my brief sketch of our honeymoon which is never to be forgotten. We both enjoy ourselves and are happy knowing that we have started a life of future happiness.

      With love,
      Ella and Louis